Thursday 3 May 2018

Learning from one of the greats

I had the rare privilege this week of a one-on-one coaching session with one of consulting's all time greats, Alan Weiss.

One on one with Alan is challenging. He's experienced, astute and very, very quick. I had prepared for our meeting with an email in advance and more or less stuck to the script. Topics ranged from better marketing of my services, how specific client relationships can be optimized and new potential buyers.

What I found particularly valuable were the specifics. Alan offered clear, pragmatic and provocative suggestions to improve my practice. How he responded to my questions taught me something: he was listening. As Alan put it during our conversation: "When I'm listening is when the best learning takes place."

Writing up my notes afterwards I was reminded that one of the best ways to improve your own performance is to work with someone on a much higher level than yourself.

Thanks, Alan!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment